‘To bar, or not to bar? A panel of perspectives’
Date(s) - 21/05/2014
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
*PLUS a Social Dinner!
5.30pm Wednesday 21st May 2014
The Clarendon Hotel,
347 Hunter Street, Newcastle
(next to Civic Theatre, opposite Civic Rail Station, near Darby Street)
Join us for an evening filled with tales of the trials and tribulations of being called to the bar. Our illustrious panel will share a diverse range of perspectives on whether going to the bar is right for you and how to make the most of your current career choices. Topics include practical tips on the path to becoming a barrister, how to ensure a successful practice, lessons learned as well as honest career advice from lawyers who chose not to answer the call and how to be a success right where you are now.
Our panel will include:
- Deborah Moss. Deborah commenced work at the DPP in 1988 and was called to the bar in 1995 where she practises in criminal law representing legal-aid clients.
- Alissa Moen. Alissa has practised as a barrister since 1996 and chose not to practise first as a solicitor as many barristers do. She first practised in Newcastle before moving to Sydney 2003, predominately in criminal defence work.
- Dominique Burns. Dominique celebrates 30 years in the law next year, called to the Bar in 2001, she practises primarily in Family Law and Children’s Court.
- Michelle McMahon. Called to the bar in 2010, Michelle was VP of the Women’s Barristers Forum and practises in building, construction and family law.
- Sarah Blakelock. A tax litigation Partner at McCullough Robertson Lawyers, Sarah previously worked with the AGS and although considered a career at the bar, has not yet been ‘called’.
We also invite you to join the panel and your WLANSW Newcastle Chapter colleagues for a social dinner afterwards at The Clarendon Hotel: Dinner at own cost; meals from $15; more information www.clarendonhotel.com.au
Please share this event with your networks and help us continue the conversation about what women in the Hunter want. We look forward to seeing you there!
Lawyers (members & non-members) $15pp/ Students $10pp
Tickets include panel presentation, welcome drink and nibbles.
Please click here for the registration form
RSVP with payment by Friday 16th May 2014
We thank the Newcastle Bar Association for their support and sponsorship of this event.
Please be advised that photographs and/or audio and video recording may occur at events organised by Women Lawyers Association NSW for use on our website, marketing materials and publications. By entering a WLANSW event, you consent to WLANSW photographing or recording and using your image and likeness. This may also be applicable at events not organised by WLANSW, but still advertised on this site.